What is the Homes & Help Initiative? It’s a pledge to promote and support select organizations that provide “homes and help for people in need”. These organizations encourage people to “cultivate and keep” their physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual health.
What organizations are included in the initiative? How are they promoted?
While the Rethinking Scripture family of websites are provided free of charge, all proceeds received from speaking honorariums and book sales are donated to select organizations that provide help with: housing, mental health services, life skills training, food, and clothing. Some of these organizations may also be featured on the Rethinking Scripture podcast and blog. The organizations currently receiving promotion and support through this initiative are listed below.
Are you considering inviting Greg to speak to a group or event? If your city isn’t already represented, he may consider donating the proceeds from your event to an organization serving your local community.
Are you aware of other organizations worthy of consideration? You can nominate an organization in your local area by contacting Greg. Let him know how you’ve seen support given to people in your community. Greg is always looking to identify organizations that serve their communities in unique and innovative ways.
I featured the Homes and Help Initiative in Episode 45 of the Podcast:
Current “Homes & Help Initiative” Organizations:
- Stop Soldier Suicide – Durham, NC – StopSoldierSuicide.org
- Stop Soldier Suicide is a non-profit that provides consistent, safe, confidential care that saves the lives.
- They serve all service members, veterans, and military families from every branch and every generation, regardless of discharge status.
- Union Gospel Mission – Salem, OR – UGMSalem.org
- The Union Gospel Mission provides a safe and healing environment for those desiring to
- break the cycle of homelessness and addiction.
- BibleProject – Portland, OR – BibleProject.com
- BibleProject is a non-profit animation studio that produces short-form, fully animated videos to make the biblical story accessible to everyone, everywhere. They create videos, podcasts, and study guides to help people experience the Bible as a unified story that leads to Jesus.
- Isaac’s Room – Salem, OR – IsaacsRoom.org
- Isaac’s Room helps divested young people build the capacity to rise to the challenges of life.
- Hope Station Community Services, Inc. – Salem, OR – HopeStationCSI.org
- Hope Station provides reduced cost food, clothing, household items, and training for the working poor.
- CAHOOTS (Crisis Assistance Helping Out On The Streets) – Eugene/Springfield, OR – WhiteBirdClinic.org/CAHOOTS
- CAHOOTS provides mobile pre-hospital mental-health crisis intervention.
- Unity Center for Behavioral Health (Legacy Emanuel) – Portland, OR – UnityHealthCenter.org
- Unity Behavioral Health provides 24-hour psychiatric care and a path to recovery for people (over 18 years of age) experiencing a mental health crisis.
- 4:13 Strong – Nashville, TN – 413strong.org
- 4:13 Strong provides a 6-8 month residential program that equips men to succeed personally and professionally. They help break the cycle of poverty, crime and dependency by providing faith-based educational, vocational and life skills training.